Brexit: Charles-Henri Gallois says ‘we are watching EU movement’
French politician Charles-Henri Gallois has claimed it will be France or Italy to be the next to exit the European Union behind the UK. Speaking to Martin Daubney on Brexit Unlocked, Mr Gallois said: “I think definitely, it will be between France and Italy, I think the two countries that are more interested to leave the euro currency and to leave the European Union and in France, but it is increasing, as we’ve all seen.
“COVID-19 was a catastrophic disaster for the European Union management.
“So I think it will move on our side, we have launched a big platform, which is a petition to ask for Brexit referendum, the same referendums that you had in the UK.
“Basically, the goal is to gather more people, more signatures together and to put pressure on the candidate for the presidential election, so that they include the referendum in their manifestos the same way that Cameron did, we are put under pressure to get that done.
“I think that the Italian minds have changed for the next election in 2023 and we are working with the Italexit party.
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
“We are working together Frexit European movement with also some of reform UK and the Brexit party.
“So we are definitely trying to remove Europe from each country.”
It comes as calls been made to scrap part of the Brexit deal relating to Northern Ireland, as the Prime Minister warned Brussels he will act to prevent trade barriers being put up in the Irish Sea.
First Minister Arlene Foster said the Northern Ireland Protocol risked the country’s “political and economic links” to the UK and called for it to be replaced.
Brexit deal ‘needs a robust government to work’ says Oulds
The agreement on Northern Ireland was seen as a way of resolving the main sticking point in Brexit negotiations – the Irish border – and sees checks focused on goods traded between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and allowing them to move freely on the island of Ireland.
Concerns over the protocol and its impact on trade between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK were exacerbated last week when Article 16 was briefly triggered to close the border to exports of the coronavirus vaccine from the Republic.
European Commission vice-president Maros Sefcovic is due in the UK next week to discuss the issue, and Boris Johnson has not ruled out a reciprocal triggering of the emergency brake, telling MPs: “We will do everything we need to do, whether legislatively or indeed by triggering Article 16 of the protocol, to ensure that there is no barrier down the Irish Sea.”
Nicola Sturgeon warned Scotland’s EU entry ‘could get messy’ [INSIGHT]
EU vaccine chaos: MEP admits ‘greatest weakness of European plan’ [ANALYSIS]
EU Parliament’s £3.6m roof repair represents ailing bloc’s future [VIDEO]
Mr Sefcovic and Michael Gove held a meeting with the First Minister and deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland on Wednesday and, in a statement following the meeting, the Cabinet Office minister and his EU counterpart said they would “work intensively to find solutions to outstanding issues”.
However, writing in the Daily Telegraph, Mrs Foster said Mr Johnson had committed to protect the UK internal market, and “must now back up those words with tangible actions that protect the integrity of the whole of the United Kingdom”.
The DUP leader wrote: “The Northern Ireland Protocol has not worked, cannot work and in light of our proposals to the Government, needs to be replaced.
“Indeed, across Northern Ireland there is growing anger at the current arrangements. The delicate political balance and relationships in Northern Ireland have been damaged and disturbed by the Protocol.”
Source: Read Full Article