A man has been forced to live in filth that was so bad it could have killed him.
The 55-year-old, who has been described as vulnerable, was living at the house of horrors in Hackney, East London with filthy water flooding the property.
The flat was so dangerous that the man was at “risk of electrocution”, reports The Sun.
The carer of the tenant, who suffers from mental health issues, reportedly contacted Hackney Council about the poor condition of the flat on many occasions.
As well as the rotting walls and disgusting state of the flat, the property had no heating or hot water.
An unfixed leak had caused the flooding and therefore rotted away woodwork over a period of time.
This caused mould to spread in all of the rooms, including on furniture.
The first complaint was made two years ago, according to the carer and tenant, but no one came to visit.
The case is now being taken on by Liverpool-based housing specialists High Street Solicitors, who have made a report on the condition of the property.
Married female maths teacher caught sexually assaulting teenage pupil unmasked
The report said: "It’s difficult to tell how far the damp and water has spread but all floors are saturated, the electrics remain in use.
"They need to be turned off and condemned due to potential risk of electrocution.”
The tenant has now been moved from the property and an investigation has now been launched.
Hackney Council said that management of the property, including repairs, was handled by Wenlock Barn Tenant Management Organisation (TMO).
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
The last known repair to the property, according to their records, was a hand wash basin in January 2020.
A spokesman for the council said: “We are very sorry that this resident has been living in conditions like these. We have supported him to move into temporary accommodation, and are working with him and his carer to assess whether he needs more support.
“We have carried out an initial inspection of the property in order to assess what further work is needed.
“We are also investigating how this property came into such disrepair, and will be working with the TMO to support them to take appropriate action to resolve these issues."
Source: Read Full Article