A British man had a lucky escape after being bitten by one of the world's deadliest snakes and then realising his phone had no signal to call emergency services.
Ben Ross, 29, was on holiday enjoying a camping trip on Fraser Island in Australia with partner Georgia Powell, 28, when an Eastern brown snake sunk its fangs in his ankle.
The lethal reptile, widely recognised as the second-most venomous land snake in the world, is responsible for around 60% of snake-bite human deaths in Australia and attacked Ben after he had headed into sand dunes to retrieve a drone that he had been using to film that morning's sunrise.
READ MORE: USA has clear message for Harry and Meghan after explosive book, expert claims
He then realised he had trod on a "darkish thing" and, on his return to the camp site, having felt a stabbing pain, he discovered the fang marks after looking down at his ankle and seeing blood.
Ben and Georgia, who are both from Hereford, "froze for a second" as they tried to digest what had just happened before also grasping that they had no signal coverage to call for help.
Explaining what happened next, Ben said: "I put pressure on my ankle to try and stop the blood flow. Georgia ran over to a neighbouring campsite and woke up the family – it was 5.30am at this point – she explained what had happened.
"Immediately this lovely lady rushed over to me with a bite kit, she told me not to move, wrapped the bite in a bandage, circled the bite area and wrote the time of the bite on the bandage.
"They had been told the day before that an Eastern brown snake had been spotted just along the campsite so we needed to move.
"Her husband Dan and his friend Lloyd carried me into the back of his new Landcruiser and rushed us across the rocks, along the beach to the nearest emergency phone."
After contacting the emergency services, Ben was told not to move to help prevent the poison from spreading inside his body and a helicopter arrived to airlift him to hospital 40 minutes later.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
There was no room in the helicopter for Georgia, so she had to make her own way to Harvey Bay Hospital in Queensland by driving the truck they had been using on the island.
Ben said: "Dan, Lloyd and their families drove ahead of her to create better tracks in the sand. We couldn't be more grateful for what they did for us.
"The helicopter landed and they rushed me into emergency services and the snake bite procedure required 12 hours of blood monitoring. They hooked me up to all the monitoring machines.
"They removed the bandages after a set amount of time and inspected the bite. Both fangs had hit the ankle bone perfectly so it didn't inject venom – a lucky escape."
Despite his fright, Ben also added: "It hasn't changed my outlook on Australia and I'll be out exploring again as soon as possible, just with thicker boots."
Schizophrenic woman found in 'mummified state' after she lay dead for four years
Ex-soldier wore wig and ra-ra skirt while carrying out horrifying alleyway sex act
Rare 48-hour weather alert as health chiefs warns Brits about freezing conditions
Prince William has 'a different level of confidence' after Harry's book, expert says
'Ghost picnics' laid out in 'haunted' London Tube station leave commuters baffled
Source: Read Full Article