Boy, 3, killed in Rochdale dog attack went into cardiac arrest, coroner told

The three-year-old boy who died after being attacked by a dog in Rochdale suffered a cardiac arrest, the coroner was told.

Daniel John Twigg was reportedly mauled on Sunday (May 15) outside a property on Carr Lane in Milnrow.

A 48-year-old man was later arrested in connection with the incident under the Dangerous Dogs Act and has now been released on bail.

Daniel, who was described as a "happy little boy who was loved by all who knew him", was rushed to a nearby hospital where he tragically died.

At a pre-inquest hearing today (May 20) more details emerged, including that Daniel suffered head and neck injuries.

It was also revealed at Rochdale Coroners' Court that a "significant" investigation by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) led to the seizure of 10 dogs.

Police coroners' officer Tracy Bunn told the court that the boy's father, 40-year-old Mark Anthony Twigg, is a gardener and his mother, 34-year-old Joanne Tracie Bedford, a "homemaker".

She confirmed that police were called to Carr Farm at 3.22pm after a report of a dog attack where a child was left "unconscious and not breathing".

Daniel was "in cardiac arrest" and was taken to a children's hospital, the court was told.

The officer said: "He sadly passed away later that day."

A police investigation was said to be ongoing, led by Det Chf Insp Gina Brennand of the Major Incident Team of GMP.

The court heard how a Cane Corso dog was destroyed at the scene, and that none of the 10 dogs seized were banned breeds.

It was also said that a post mortem was carried out on Daniel. The provisional conclusion was that he'd died of head and neck injuries caused by a dog attack, the court heard.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

GMP has referred itself to the Independent Officer for Police Conduct because of "previous contact".

Rochdale Children's Services may also carry out a safeguarding review, the court heard.

Senior North Manchester Coroner Joanne Kearsley said: "At this stage there remains a criminal investigation and I'm not going to set a date for the final inquest."

A further pre-inquest review has been scheduled for September 1 this year.

Source: Read Full Article