Boy, 7, almost dies after eating flies and fingers buffet at TUI resort

The parents of a seven-year-old boy who suffered a seizure and almost died on his first holiday have blamed his illness on a fly-infested buffet.

Ethan McNally-Roberts, from Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, was away with his parents Natalie, 42, and John McNally-Roberts at a hotel booked through TUI when he became severely ill.

Jan Hughes, 50, from Barnsley, South Yorkshire stayed in a nearby, sister hotel, also in Sharm El Sheikh, over the summer and also became ill, it is claimed.

Ethan and his parents stayed at the Jaz Mirabel Beach Hotel at the popular Red Sea resort from May 20, but the boy's illness meant he didn't fly home until June 12.

READ MORE: Billionaire gypsy went from sleeping in car to splurging on £9 million yacht

Jan stayed at the sister building, Jaz Mirabel Park Hotel, between the July 4 and 11.

She claims the food was covered in flies and staff handled it with their un-covered fingers.

She booked the holiday with her husband, Mark, their children and their families to celebrate her birthday.

However, she needed hospital treatment upon her return to the UK and was diagnosed with salmonella and a kidney injury, after experiencing hallucinations, high temperatures, nausea and diarrhoea.

Four months later, Jane, who is a carer for her husband, has ongoing gastric issues.

She said: "When I think back, I recall the buffet being left uncovered and new food being added on top of existing food. There were often flies buzzing around it too, and I saw a lot of people using their hands instead of the utensils."

Ethan, his parents say, is lucky to be alive. He ended up in the intensive care unit in Sharm El Sheikh, suffering a seizure where he choked, stopped breathing and required resuscitation – before having to fly home in an air ambulance.

  • Girl 'pushed into frozen pond' in horror attack that could have become another tragedy

He was subsequently admitted to hospital in Bristol, and still requires regular monitoring of his kidney function.

Natalie, a commercial manager for a hotel, said: "What we went through was nothing short of traumatic and John and I were so scared that Ethan might die.

"No parent should have to go through what we did, it's something that will take years to overcome. At times, we weren't even allowed into the hospital in Egypt to see him; it was terrifying."

Hannah Clifford, the specialist international serious injury lawyer representing those affected, said: "Our clients had all been saving up for their holidays and couldn't wait to get to Egypt. However, their dream trips turned into nightmares after they were struck down with gastric symptoms."

A TUI spokeswoman told the Mirror: "We are sorry to hear of these experiences. "As this is now a legal matter, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here

READ MORE:

  • Family fear they'll be forced to eat Christmas dinner on the floor as DFS sofa 'lost'

  • Psychic who 'predicted' Sussexes' Oprah interview warns of more royal turmoil in 2023
  • Harry 'should be grateful to Palace' for taking him from 'angry bar dweller to war hero'
  • Royal Marines deployed to Ukraine for 'high-risk covert ops' against Russia
  • MH370 mystery could be solved as 'landing gear points to criminal plot to sink plane'

Source: Read Full Article