A homeowner has been ordered to demolish a "monster mansion" after he built it without planning permission.
Gurwinder Singh bulldozed his modest semi-detached house and replaced it with four-bedroom property, which his neighbours say made their lives “hell” over three years.
Locals in Willenhall, West Midlands. described the property as being "like a Travelodge in the middle of a housing estate".
READ MORE: Met Office issues urgent storm and power cut warning – what time they will hit and where
Other residents simply branded it a "monstrosity" and "an eyesore."
Last year, Walsall Council slapped Mr Singh with an enforcement notice ordering him to tear the building down following complaints from residents.
Mr Singh appealed to the Planning Inspectorate but the local authority has now dismissed the appeal and upheld the original enforcement notice.
He did have planning permission for a modest extension to the 1960s house in 2020 but he went one step further and demolished the entire building.
It is thought the brand new house would have cost in the region of £200,000 to build – and would have been the biggest property in the area.
Bloke ordered to demolish second 'home' in garden – but he claims it's a 'caravan'
Neighbours say they hope the row can finally be resolved and the house on the corner of Sandringham Avenue and Arundel Road torn down.
One neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "We'll believe it when we see it as this has been going on for far too long.
"It sticks out like a sore thumb, I'm not sure how they thought they would ever get away with doing this.
Lottery winner 'held hostage' from her winnings over little-known law
"I saw it described as like having a Travelodge in the middle of a housing estate, and I think that sums it up. It's just so out of place and a real eyesore.
Another previously said: "I'm glad the council have nipped it in the bud now before it's finished. It was at least three times the size of the original house. It looks like a sports hall."
In a decision notice, inspector Andrew McGlone said: ""Setting aside the fact that the works are not an extension to the dwelling since it was demolished, the outcome of the assessment confirms that, the layout, footprint, scale, massing and appearance of the structure are different to the 2021 permission.
Rapist tricked victim with drinking game before sexually assaulting her as she vomited
"Hence, the appellants have not carried out the development granted through the 2021 permission and there is no other planning permission in place for the development that has taken place.
"As a result, there has been a breach of planning control in respect of the partially erected replacement dwelling."
A Walsall Council spokesman said: “We can confirm that the Planning Inspector’s appeal decision dated July 7, 2023 has been received by the local planning authority.
"The Inspector has upheld the council’s enforcement notice (with some changes made including compliance period)."
For the latest stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here – and check out the new WTF Wednesdays newsletter for everything brilliantly bizarre!
Source: Read Full Article