Desperate woman leapt from first floor balcony totally naked to escape rapist

A rapist whose victim leapt from a first floor balcony in a daring escape attempt has been jailed for nine years.

Lithuanian national Audrius Silinskas was living in Northern Ireland illegally when he raped the same woman twice.

And she was so determined to escape him that she jumped from the first floor balcony of a building “totally naked” in a bid to escape from him – she found sanctuary in a house nearby, a court heard.

During the sentencing at Newry Crown Court this week, Judge Gordon Kerr QC gave the man credit for his guilty pleas because it saved the unnamed victim from “being forced to relive her harrowing ordeal” – he did, however, initially plead not guilty, but changed it to guilty of two counts of rape, which were "in no way premeditated".

Silinskas was appearing in court video video link.

Judge Kerr said that it was “an offence that went well beyond the aggravating factor”, and he will have to serve at least six years before applying for parole.

The incident, which took place on August 15, 2019, began when Silinskas collected the victim from Belfast International Airport, which she had travelled to seek work.

She was taken to his home, where he was, according to court reports, drinking “neat whiskey and vodka”.

Judge Kerr said: “When she refused his initial advances, he pushed her onto a bed and declared that this was his house and she would do what he wanted, (before) ordering her to take her clothes off.

“Despite her protests he commenced to rape her.

  • Young woman sent fiancé Snapchats of deflating boat before drowning in Channel tragedy

“(The victim) tried to struggle and shout for help, even grabbing a small pair of scissors from a bedside table to try to stab him to get him to stop”.

At the time, the man was described as being “violent, angry and aggressive”, and demanded that she do what he wanted her to do – which is when she managed to escape from the first floor balcony.

Police were called to the house she had fled to, and managed to follow a trail of blood back to the scene of the crime.

Shockingly, it emerged during the trial that Silinskas had already been convicted of rape and serious violence back home in Lithuania.

To stay up to date with all the latest breaking news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Detective Constable Mallon said: “The woman in this case displayed immense courage in seeing this investigation through to a successful conclusion. I hope that her tenacity and resolution to bring this man to justice will encourage anyone else who has experienced any form of sexual abuse to come forward to police.

“Officers in the Police Service of Northern Ireland remain committed to investigating all reports of sexual offences. We will seek to place offenders before the courts so they can be made amenable for their crimes.”

Is it thought that Silinskas will be deported back to Lithuania once he has served his sentence in Northern Ireland.

Source: Read Full Article