Greedy dog rushed to hospital after eating his entire lead without owners seeing

A greedy dog was rushed to the vets after scoffing his entire lead while his owners were not watching.

Hungry hound Max made short work of his lead during a 15-minute car journey, leaving nothing but the metal end.

Owners Brian and Christine Hillman took him to the emergency Vets Now clinic in Newport, Gwent, South Wales, for urgent treatment.

A team of specialists worked quickly to recover the lead, which had been chewed into neat 5cm strips.

Ms Hillman, 54, said although Labrador Max was prone to chewing on items of clothing he had never before eaten anything he was not supposed to.

  • Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today

She said: "We know to keep an eye on Max as he is prone to getting hold of things and having a good chew.

"He is always at the socks and knickers from the washing, although he just bites holes in them, he's never actually eaten any.

"So, we never for a moment thought he'd do anything as crazy as eat his lead."

Seven-year-old Max has had previous health issues and was on his way to a hydrotherapy session before Mr Hillman spotted the missing lead and made a swift diversion to the emergency vets.

  • Distraught dog owner warns of pet treats laced with rat poison as pooch dies

The Vets Now clinic in Newport deals with all sorts of pet emergencies – though the team said this is the first dog they have treated who has ingested an entire lead.

Laura Playforth, Vets Now's professional standards director, said: "This was an unusual case to say the least.

"These intestinal obstructions often require surgery which poses its own risks.

"However, in Max's case, because we knew he'd only recently swallowed the lead we were confident inducing vomiting would bring it back up.

"His case just goes to show some dogs, particularly labs, will eat almost anything."

Ms Hillman said although Max was initially a bit queasy when he returned home, he has since returned to his old self.

"The Vets Now team were brilliant, so caring and nice," she said.

"Max was a bit queasy when we got him home and it took three of us to get him out of the car, but, thankfully he was soon back to his old self.

"It's still hard to believe what he did. We take no chances now and have both dogs off their leads when they get in the car."

  • Dogs

Source: Read Full Article