Hammer killer put on show and acted surprised as police found friends body

A crazed killer tried to fool the police after they found his friend's body in a pool of blood, shocking video footage has revealed.

Lee Whitlock, 53, struck his friend Robert Farley, 61, on the head multiple times with a hammer inside his flat in Barry, Wales last year.

The defendant was picked up by police and asked to be taken to the victim's flat and claimed he was worried about not hearing from him for a couple of days on September 2.

Police arrived in the early hours of the morning and discovered Farley's lifeless body on the sofa after he was bludgeoned to death with severe head injuries.

Whitlock was arrested on suspicion of murder but initially claimed he had nothing to do with Mr Farley's death, reports Wales Online.

Forensic examinations revealed the defendant's blood and fingerprints were found in the victim's flat and witnesses said Whitlock had made a number of confessions. He was also seen in possession of a clawhammer.

He pleaded guilty to murder on the first day of his trial and was sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court on Tuesday.

Body-worn camera footage released by South Wales Police showed the moment Whitlock was arrested shortly after Mr Farley's body was discovered.

Whitlock says: "You're arresting me for murder?"

A police officer replies: "All right Lee, mate, okay."

Whitlock again asks: "What are you arresting me for murder for?"

An officer tells him: "Listen, the time is 1.31am. I am arresting you on suspicion of murder…."

Whitlock responds: "You're having a laugh."

The officer continues: "You do not have to say anything but it may help your defence, if you do not…"

Whitlock says: "Oh my God."

CCTV footage was also released of Whitlock walking along West Walk earlier in the day after murdering Mr Farley.

It shows the defendant walking on the street using a cane but stopping for a number of seconds and staring at Mr Farley's flat window. He then continues walking.

Following the hearing South Wales Police senior investigating officer detective chief inspector Mark Lewis said: “The show that Whitlock put on for officers at the scene, claiming to know nothing of what happened to someone that he called a friend, truly shows the lack of remorse right from the offset of this investigation.

“It is down to the painstaking work of officers and staff at the scene, the forensic and CCTV examination, and follow-up inquiries that developed such strong evidence against him that Whitlock pleaded guilty and has today been put in jail to face the consequences of his actions."

Whitlock was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum of 18 years and one month.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here .

Source: Read Full Article