We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
The Hong Kong leader said it was unlikely lockdown restrictions would be completely scrapped. However, the government are looking into relaxing some of the measures imposed.
At present, Hong Kong’s borders are almost fully closed.
Gatherings are limited to groups of up to eight people although life is returning to normal.
However, these soon could be relaxed despite mounting fears there could be a second wave of coronavirus in China as Beijing sees a surge in cases.
Beijing is taking the opposite approach as it puts more neighbourhoods under lockdown and boosted testing as it tries to contain a deadly second wave of coronavirus cases.
For more than seven weeks Beijing had only registered cases from people travelling in from abroad.
New clusters of coronavirus in the highly populated city has caused the cancellation of relaxed measures across the region, with the planned reopening of schools cancelled.
Indoor sporting and entertainment venues across Beijing have been ordered to close, along with many schools.
The concerns over a second outbreak come as Beijing attempts to return to normal life.
JUST IN: Coronavirus map LIVE: PM’s advisor warns second wave will hit the UK
The city of Beijing has seen more than 100 new cases in the fresh outbreak of COVID-19, the World Health Organisation (WHO) says.
Now, Who are urging for China to share new information on the new strain of coronavirus detected in the populous city.
The news comes after Lam urged opponents of Beijing’s plan to impose national security legislation in the financial hub to stop “smearing” the effort.
Speaking on Tuesday, the leader said those who did oppose the plan were “the enemy of the people”.
Donald Trump and Western world will push to END Communism in China [EXCLUSIVE]
US aircraft carrier returns to sea as Beijing’s ‘harassment’ continues [REVEAL]
Xi Jinping lashing out to PROVOKE global response for shocking reason [VIDEO]
Beijing last month announced a plan to introduce legislation in Hong Kong to tackle secession, subversion, terrorism and foreign interference.
Critics see it as the most serious threat to a “one country, two systems” formula.
The formula was agreed when the former British colony returned to Chinese rule in 1997, aimed at ensuring its freedoms and role as a global financial centre.
The Chinese government and Lam’s Beijing-backed city administration say the law will not curtail freedoms.
They say the legislation will instead target a small number of “troublemakers” and help bring stability after a year of anti-government protests.
“I urge opponents who still use the usual tactics to demonize and smear the work to stop because by doing this they become the enemy of the Hong Kong people,” Lam said before a cabinet meeting, referring to the legislation.
“The vast majority want to restore stability, and have safety, satisfaction and employment.”
Lam’s harsh warning comes a year after Hong Kong’s biggest ever demonstration.
More than two million people, according to organisers, marched against another bill the city wanted to introduce that would have allowed extraditions to mainland China.
Critics saw that bill as a threat to judicial independence and though it was later withdrawn, protests broadened into a campaign for greater democracy and clashes with police intensified.
This year, the coronavirus outbreak saw a heavy decline in protests but they have resumed since Beijing announced the plan for the security law.
Details have not been announced but it has been widely criticised, not only by democracy activists but by diplomats, lawyers and business leaders who also fear it could erode rights and freedoms.
Source: Read Full Article