Killer ‘broke knife’ as he viciously stabbed mum in front of three-year-old son

A man who stabbed a mum in front of her three-year-old son has been found guilty of her “pre-meditated, vicious and cowardly” murder.

Ipswich Crown Court heard how Charles Jessop had become enraged after hearing that former girlfriend Clare Nash had started a new relationship.

A jury heard how Jessop, 30, had bombarded the victim with telephone calls and messages after she ended their relationship, Cambridgeshire Live reports.

Ms Nash had reported her concerns about Jessop’s obsession to police, but was told she would only be classified as “medium risk”.

Prosecutor Mark Cotter QC told the court that the attack was so frenzied, Jessop broke the knife he was using and began to strangle Ms Nash instead.

A pathologist could not say whether Ms Nash died by strangulation or from blood loss, Mr Cotter added, with her cause of death recorded as a combination of both.

Police, who arrived at Ms Nash's home shortly after the attack, which took place "in the presence of her three-year-old son” arrested Jessop, also heard him say "I have won", the court heard.

Part way through the trial, Jessop admitted to the lesser charge of manslaughter, but denied he had set out to murder his ex-girlfriend that night.

Part of Jessop's defence was that he had taken the antidepressant drug Citalopram, and that this had affected his state of mind.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

The court also heard that Ms Nash was "given advice" and she agreed to email police a recording of one of Jessop’s phone calls.

An officer received an email from Ms Nash at 8.29pm that day with contact numbers for her and Jessop.

An email containing the voicemail message from Jessop did not arrive until the following day, January 17, "probably due to the size of the file", Mr Cotter said.

"By the time that file arrived Clare Nash was already dead," he added.

On Wednesday, June 9, Jessop was found guilty of murdering Ms Nash. He will be sentenced later this month at Ipswich Crown Court.

Senior Investigating Officer DI Matthew Connick said: "This was a vicious, pre-meditated and unprovoked attack on Clare Nash by Charles Jessop so it is satisfying to see the jury found him guilty of this horrific act.

"While justice has been secured for Clare’s family the investigation team are acutely aware that this will not bring Clare back to them and the pain of her death still remains. "

"Our thoughts are with the family at this time and I would like to thank them for their support during the investigation and trial.” he added.

On hearing the verdict Ms Nash's father, Brian Nash said: "While nothing will return Clare to us, the emotional burden has been lessened knowing justice has been served.

"She was deeply, deeply loved and will be missed by her family and friends."

Source: Read Full Article