Man saves family dog’s life with CPR after loyal pet had seizure on beach walk

A young man has been hailed a "hero" after saving the life of his dog with CPR when he was left stranded on the beach and unable to get to a veterinary practice.

Gwyn Parks, 22, was out on a walk with his springer-spaniel named Winnie on Monday when she randomly collapsed on Exmouth beach.

The Devon local didn't know what to do when his typically energetic five-year-old pet started losing energy before having a seizure.

Gwyn told DevonLive: ''I put her onto the ground and she began to have some sort of fit.

''She went really tense for around twenty seconds and then just stopped breathing, turning all floppy.''

Gwyn says that he arrived at the beach around 1pm on Monday walking both Winnie as well as his grandparent's Labrador.

He said: ''I was hitting balls back and forth for the dog as normal.

''Just as I was heading off my mate arrived so I was going to quickly say hi and then head home – that's when I began to notice Winnie's back legs were stumbling.

''I had never seen her do that before so clearly I was concerned.''

Unsure as to what was causing her to stumble, Gwyn picked Winnie up and headed toward the edge of the beach.

''She was being really cuddly and kept her head close to mine – it was unusual.

''I put her back down to see if she could start walking.''

After spotting the commotion, Neil – a fellow pedestrian – called out to Gwyn to see if he needed help.

Gwyn said: ''She began to have a fit. She went really tense for around twenty seconds and then just stopped breathing, turning all floppy.

''Neil starting instructing me how to perform CPR on the dog.''

In a state of panic, a friend of Gwyn's made the decision to drive his car onto the beach in order to get closer to the dog and make a dash to the vets – however, unsurprisingly the car got stuck in the sand.

Lightheartedly, Gwyn said: ''All logic just goes out of the window in a moment like this.''

Unable to drive to the vets due to the car being stuck in the sand, Gwyn rushed Winnie up onto the concrete where he continued to perform CPR.

He said: ''Coincidentally, a police car drove passed and spotted us.

''We jumped into the police car and they took us straight to the vets.''

Upon arrival, the vets took Winnie inside where they gave her oxygen and insulin – keeping her in overnight.

Gwyn said: ''She is back home now. The vets are still running blood tests, but they think that she may have just overdone it on the walk.

''Thankfully, she is okay now although she wants to be near me all the time.

''I just wanted to thank absolutely everyone for their efforts."

He added: ''From the people who pulled my friend's car off the sand, the police for blue lighting us to the vets and being so understanding, people who called the vets and were so nice, everyone at Raddenstiles- from the vet to the nurse who stayed with her all night and even the kind receptionists.

''But most of all Neil Kearsley, I can’t thank you enough.

''Thank you all. I’ve got my Winnie back.''

Source: Read Full Article