Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have reportedly pulled the plug on a glitzy fundraising party for the Invictus Games after they signed a megabucks deal with streaming rival Netflix.
The Sussexes were set to give speeches at a star-studded do in California next year that was penned to be broadcast on Amazon.
The glittering event would have been raising vital cash for the Invictus Games organisation, and likely have been held at The Hollywood Bowl.
Reports claim that ”gutted” organisers were banking on the music and comedy show to raise £1million for the games.
Beyonce and Ed Sheeran were marked to perform at the fundraiser, Mail Online reports.
But officials have reportedly been left “stunned” after a lawyer for the Sussexes informed them they would not being going ahead with the event after they signed a unprecedented deal with Netflix.
The couple, who would have been giving speeches at the fundraiser in June 2021, put pen to paper on a multi-year deal to produce content for the US streaming giant.
Meghan and Prince urged to use Netflix cash to pay £2.4m back to us, say MPs
According to a report in the Sunday Times, the couple’s lawyer cited a “conflict” of plans with Netflix rival Amazon.
A source told the Times: “It is very bad form and everyone at Invictus is gutted.
“Harry said yes to doing this last year and everything was till moving forward until a few weeks ago.
“This was going to be a big moment for Invictus where the pot is pretty empty, and it has left them in the lurch. Harry needs to pull his finger out to find another way to raise funds for them.”
The Invictus Games is a multi-sport event created by the Duke of Sussex in which wounded and sick veterans take part.
Princess Diana 'hated Philip and told Harry and William not to be like him'
A spokesman for Invictus reportedly confirmed that the vent was “shelved” due to the pandemic and it was a decision independent of the Netflix deal.
They said: “The event was shelved because the primary revenue generator was ticket sales from a live concert in Los Angeles in the spring of 2021.
“Given current circumstances with Covid, the event needed to be reconceptualised.
“This was an independent decision made prior to a partnership with Netflix. The duke remains committed as ever to the Invictus Games.”
Harry and Meghan signed on this week to an unprecedented production contract with the US streaming giants.
The Sussexes will produce a host of “impactful” content in the shape of feature films, documentaries, children’s and scripted television.
The deal is reportedly worth £150 million and could include a documentary on the life of Princess Diana.
Source: Read Full Article