Missing sailor found alive and clinging to capsized boat 86 miles off coast

A sailor has been found clinging to the hull of a capsized boat after two days lost at sea.

Stuart Bee was spotted by the crew of the 225-foot container ship Angeles 86 miles off Cape Canaveral, Florida, holding onto his 32-foot vessel.

The 62-year-old American whose family reported him missing on Friday after he failed to return from a boating trip, was found alive on Sunday morning.

His relatives sounded the alarm after saying he typically didn't stay out at sea overnight.

The marooned mariner was seen holding on the hull of his boat in the Atlantic ocean when he was miraculously rescued, according to U.S. Coast Guard officials.

"It's amazing. It's 86 miles offshore," Petty Officer Veronica Dunn-Depretis said saying Bee was lucky to be alive.

She said despite his ordeal the sailor was not injured and that it was not immediately clear why his 32-foot boat, named the Sting Ray, capsized.

"He is OK. We received reports from the motor vessel (Angeles) that there were no medical concerns," Dunn-Depretis said.

She said when Bee was located, he was holding on to about four-feet of the boat's bow sticking out of the water.

"He was clinging to that when they came across him and they pulled him up on their vessel," Dunn-Depretis said.

  • 'God knows I'm a truthful man': Sailor denies faking being lost at sea for 66 days

Bee's ordeal began sometime after departing from the Port Canaveral Marina.

She said Bee was planning to only be out on the water for several hours but when he failed to return, his family and officials contacted the Coast Guard.

Officers began co-ordinating a search including the Angeles, which received an emergency message to look out for the Sting Ray as it sailed from Puerto Barrios in Guatemala to Port of Wilmington in Delaware.

The Coast Guard also deployed a C-130 Hercules aircrew to look for Bee assisted by US Customs and Border Patrols.

  • Horrifying moment woman in bikini catapulted into sea as boat explodes while refuelling

Bee was eventually spotted about 11.40am on Sunday after first setting sail at 4pm on Friday.

Captain Mark Vlaun, commanding officer of the Coast Guard's Jacksonville sector, expressed his gratitude to all those involved in the rescue mission.

"Saving lives at sea is our highest calling," he said.

"This is a truly incredible outcome that demonstrates the bond among all mariners and our community.

"Thank you to our mission partners that launch into action and to all who got the word out to find and rescue Mr Bee."

U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class David Micallef added: "It's an amazing story. We're just very thankful for the motor vessel Angeles and their entire crew for keeping a sharp lookout.

"And we're just very thankful, especially during this holiday season, that we can bring this man home to his family."

On Monday Bee's condition wasn't immediately known but initial reports stated he suffered no substantial injuries.

Source: Read Full Article