Mum and sons tragic deaths after falling from ferry may be murder

The investigation into the deaths of a mother and her son who fell from a ferry has taken a chilling turn – with police now believing it to be a murder-suicide.

It was initially reported that Lech, a seven-year-boy Polish boy, fell from the Stena Line ferry in Swedish waters on Friday (June 30) before his mum Paulina, 36, jumped overboard in a desperate bid to save him.

However, Swedish police investigating the incident have now changed their theory. They now reckon the mum jumped overboard with her son deliberately and are treating it as a murder-suicide.

READ MORE: Pregnant cyanide 'serial killer' may have murdered more than Jack the Ripper

The pair, both from Grudziadzt, Poland, were on the Stena Spirit ferry as it travelled from Gdynia, Poland, to the Swedish port of Karlskrona.

An enormous search and rescue operation was launched after they fell in, with NATO aircraft called in to assist.

The mother and son were found and airlifted to a hospital, but sadly both died.

The change to what police think happened comes after eyewitnesses who saw them just before the tragedy described Paulina as “tired” and “depressed”.

Beata, a fellow passenger, told Fakt: “I remember thinking it was unusual to have such a big baby in a stroller, but the boy may have been disabled in some way.

“She looked tired, depressed. Her body language was so… I was walking past her. Now I wish I had asked her any questions, made contact, anything.”

Beata added: “I didn't get the immediate impression that she needed help, but it would be better if I stayed by her side. But it was cold and I hid below deck.”

The investigation has been led by Swedish police with Polish colleagues assisting.

According to the Swedish Police’s Thomas Johansson, information from the ferry’s crew and passengers, alongside CCTV, led them to treat it as a murder.

Mr Johansson told Fakt: “I would like to emphasise that there is no suspect and we do not intend to charge anyone.”

When Mr Johansson was asked if the reason for the lack of charging was because the mother was dead, he reportedly cut the conversation short and said he could not answer.

The investigation continues.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article