The royals “felt strongly” about the allegations made by Prince Harry and Meghan Markle but were unable to properly respond, a royal expert has said.
During their interview with Oprah Winfrey, the couple made a series of explosive allegations against the firm.
The Duchess of Sussex said she was refused help from the palaceafter revealing she had been suffering from suicidal thoughts, and claimed a senior royal had raised concerns about how dark Archie’s skin might be.
After days of silence, Buckingham Palace released a short response saying the issues would be worked through “privately”.
Royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams described the interview as almost a form of "nuclear attack" on the monarchy.
He told the Daily Star: “The palace could never properly respond, the situation was very difficult.
“You couldn’t respond point by point. Firstly, it wouldn’t be dignified, and secondly, if you did that what you would face possibly, conceivably, would be another hour and a half [interview].”
He added: “The only way of responding was the way the Queen responded.
Kate Middleton was at Sarah Everard vigil legally for 'work', claims police chief
“But the way the Royal Family really felt, you could see [Prince] William in that throw off comment – ‘we are not a racist family’ – how strongly they felt about it, because this really was absolutely toxic.”
During a trip to a school in east London, William became the first royal to publicly comment on the interview.
He told a journalist the royals are “very much not a racist family”.
William and Charles spoke with Harry after it was aired, according to US journalist Gayle King – a friend of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Oprah.
However, she said the talks were "unproductive".
Last week, Meghan’s dad Thomas Markle was pictured delivering a letter to Oprah Winfrey’s house, asking for an interview with the US TV host.
He drove up to her property in Montecito, California, and handed the letter to a security guard on Thursday, March 25.
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
The 76-year-old, who made the 1,000-mile trip from his house in Rosarito, Mexico, wants to tell his side of the story, it is claimed.
A source told The Sun: “Thomas delivered a letter to Oprah asking her to contact him so he could tell his side of the story.
“This was not a note to Meghan and Harry, it was meant for Oprah.
“Thomas watched the interview she did with them and feels he deserves a chance to have his say.”
Source: Read Full Article