Philippines urged to play hardball with Beijing in South China Sea – ‘Really concerned’

South China Sea: Canada expresses support for Philippines

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

A spokesman to the Philippine president reported that in the wake of the maritime incursion, he has expressed “concern” to China’s ambassador. The incident at Whitsun Reef, which saw around 220 vessels moor within Manila’s exclusive economic zone, created an international outcry, with many people throwing criticism at Beijing for the “swarming and threatening presence”.

President Rodrigo Duterte’s spokesman, Harry Roque, said on Thursday: “The president said we are really concerned.

“Any country will be concerned with that number of ships.”

In response, the Philippine foreign ministry said it infringed upon “Philippine sovereignty.”

Philippine defence officials issued a demand for the vessels to leave on Thursday but, despite the warning, 183 remain moored to the reef.

US-based technology company, Simularity, which analyses satellite data, documented that, although the news was only recently reported, the vessels have been aggregating in the region since last year.

Simularity said it reported “mooring, arriving and departing at Whitsun Reef since mid-December 2020.”

China’s embassy in Manila rejected allegations that the vessels were “creating an atmosphere of instability” and insisted they are fishing vessels merely taking shelter from rough seas.

Simularity reported that, with the current configuration, “fishing is impossible.”

Antonio Carpio, a retired Supreme Court Judge, believes the developments could be a “prelude to occupation” and that the Philippines should be “very wary.”

The news comes after a separate revelation uncovered “significant construction activity” conducted by China on the Subi Reef which also lies within Philippine territory.

In the wake of the new construction project which could see China build a new artificial island, President Duterte is being pressed to make a hardline stance against Beijing.

Simularity analysed satellite images of the new construction on Subi Reef and reported: “The volume of changes is significant, and may indicate the early phases of major construction on Subi Reef.”

DON’T MISS: 
US spy plane conducts closest fly-by manoeuvre amid surging tensions [REVEAL]
China plot: Panic as hundreds of ships manned by armed militia [INSIGHT]
Philippines accuses Beijing of ‘provocative action’ in South China Sea [SPOTLIGHT]

China has claimed more than 90 percent of the resource-rich region as part of its One-China policy and has been working on several construction projects throughout the region.

Source: Read Full Article