Prince Harry branded national disgrace by fans fuming over Philip memorial

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

Prince Harry has been called a “national disgrace” as royal fans on Twitter react to his decision to not attend his grandfather’s memorial service later this month.

A spokesperson for the Duke of Sussex confirmed that Harry will not return to the UK to join other members of the Royal Family for the service in honour of Prince Philip at Westminster Abbey on March 29.

Harry’s spokesperson declined to comment as to the reason for his decision but said he hopes to visit his grandmother the Queen soon.

The Queen was reportedly only told of Harry's decision not to attend just 15 minutes before it was announced by a representative of the Duke's, according to the Sun.

It is thought that the decision could be due to the Duke’s legal battle with the Home Office over security for him, Meghan Markle and their children after he offered to pay for police protection himself.

Harry’s decision to not attend the memorial service for the late Duke of Edinburgh sparked outrage among royal fans on Twitter with some calling him a “disgrace”.

One twitter user said: “Utter disgrace not to pay respect to his grandfather.”

  • Unexpected Prince Harry comment made Kate Middleton cry on her wedding day

Another commented: “Prince Harry really is a disgrace, no respect for the Queen whatsoever, and unlikely to see her again!”

While other Twitter users branded Harry a “national disgrace” and “he should be ashamed of himself”.

However, some users believed Harry’s action was to not take attention away from Philip on the day with the constant speculation over when the Duke of Sussex and his family would return to the UK.

They also feel he has taken a strong stance over his battle for police protection by continuing to keep his family safe.

  • Meghan and Harry Jubilee visit ‘essential for royals to move on from Oprah’, Scobie says

One said: “Respect on Harry for being a protector & holding up, under such hate! Takes a STRONG man to take this stand!!”

As another user commented: “They won't provide Harry with security so he and his family can be safe in the UK nor would they let him pay for his own security team but they're disappointed that he'd opt out of going to a memorial service over there?”

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

The Duke has pursued a legal challenge against the Home Office after being told he would no longer be given the “same degree” of personal protective security when visiting from the US, despite offering to pay for it himself.

Harry has said he wants to bring his son Archie and baby daughter Lilibet to visit from the US, but he and his family are “unable to return to his home” because it is too dangerous, a legal representative previously said.

The judge in the High Court case, Mr Justice Swift, will give his ruling on February’s preliminary proceedings, part of which may be confidential, at a later date.

  • Prince Harry
  • Meghan Markle
  • Royal Family
  • Prince Philip
  • Archie Harrison Mountbatten Windsor
  • Lilibet Diana Mountbatten-Windsor

Source: Read Full Article