Ranting patient tied up two health workers at knifepoint in ‘terrifying’ attack

Two mental health workers thought they were going to die after a patient tied them up at knife-point and kept them prisoner in his home in a 'terrifying attack', a court heard.

The victims, an unnamed man and woman, attended 31-year-old Drew Trugdill's home to check on his welfare when he threatened to shoot them with an improvised firearm.

Leeds Crown Court was told Trudgill had a history of mental health problems, and ranted at the victims before accusing them of being 'part of the system that ruined his life'.

Trugdill, who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, allowed the mental health workers to enter his home in Cleckheaton, West Yorks., in May last year.

Once they were in the property he brandished a knife, and then used cable ties to tie their hands and feet together before placing pillow cases over their heads.

He told the victims to lie on the floor and started smoking cigarettes and pacing around, the court heard.

Prosecutor Matthew Harding said Trudgill was wearing a stab vest with a hammer and a knife attached to it.

The woman became so scared she tried to jump out of a window, but Trudgill stopped her and stabbed her in the leg with the knife.

The prosecutor said the victims became more terrified as time went on and believed they were going to die.

The woman managed to reach her mobile phone and raised the alarm by sending a text message which read: "Send help".

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Mr Harding said a 'considerable number' of armed police officers stormed into the property and arrested Trudgill.

Trudgill appeared in court via a video link from Rampton High Security Hospital, and pleaded guilty to two counts of false imprisonment and two of making threats to kill.

He was made the subject of a hospital order for an indefinite period of time.

Judge Neil Clark said: "The mental health workers were there to help you and deal with your condition.

"The attack you subjected them to was utterly terrifying, there is no getting around that.

"I hope that you get better in the long run. I hope that you continue to comply with your medication.bIf you do then the future is brighter."

The court heard both victims had suffered from nightmares and anxiety since the incident, and described how Trudgill appeared to enjoy the control he had over the situation.

Trudgill had been detained under the Mental Health Act on two previous occasions, the court was told.

Doctors assessed Trudgill as posing a high risk to the public.

Martin Morrow, mitigating, said Trudgill had been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and had been responding well to treatment while in custody.

Source: Read Full Article