Shark mauls surfer to death and search for killer predator is under way

A surfer was mauled to death by a shark and the search for the killer predator is underway.

Nick Slater, 46, has been identified as the man who was fatally attacked at Greenmount Beach in Australia.

The great white shark brutally killed the real estate agent at around 5pm on September 8.

Authorities have launched a search for the killer shark who left him with catastrophic injuries, reports Mail Online.

It has been reported at least 40 surfers were in the water when the man was attacked.

The horrific ordeal was captured on camera by witnesses and a rider.

Helicopters have been circling the region in a bid to hunt down the predator.

Many have flocked to the beach to pay tribute to Mr Slater.

Thomas Richard Tate, Mayor of the Gold Coast, offered his condolences and said to Today: "Last time we've had a shark attack is 1958, over 60 years ago.

"It doesn't matter how long it's been, still a devastating shock to the community of the Gold Coast.'"

The beach has been closed off until the shark is found, according to authorities.

  • Great white shark attack: Fisherman's terror as creature takes bite out of boat

Mr Tate also said the devastating attack is a reminder to "look after your mates."

He said: "I mean really it brings to reality, when we go off the land we go into water, it is the shark's domain."

Shocking footage shows the moment Mr Slater was sitting in the water and was dragged by the shark.

The severely injured man can be seen floating in the water face down before others drag him to the shore.

  • Huge shark spotted off UK seaside town as tourists left astonished by rare sight

Surfer Jade Parker told 7News the moment he realised something had happened.

He said: "There were four or five people yelling and pointing at the water, and I looked out to where they were pointing and I spotted a board floating and a body was next to it.

"There were about three on the scene before me and they were all trying to drag him in with the board he had. I helped drag him into the beach as well."

Mr Slater was "pretty much gone" by the time emergency services arrived.

Source: Read Full Article