A student has spoken out about her horrific ordeal at Manchester’s Christmas markets last weekend, where she believes she was spiked with a needle.
Anya Whitaker-Keating from Leeds says she ‘won’t be going out again for a long time’ after blacking out after only a few drinks on Saturday.
The next thing she remembers is waking up the next morning feeling ‘really drowsy’ and noticing a ‘pin prick’ mark on the top of her leg, instantly fearing the worst, Manchester Evening News reports.
Reports of spiking incidents on women are increasing across the country and Anya feared this would be one of those stories.
Anya, 19, said she had been looking forward to the trip to Manchester with her boyfriend but now fears going out after what happened.
She said: "I was just at the Christmas Markets, I am from Leeds and got the train over with my boyfriend at about 12 pm.
"We just had something to eat and went to the markets.
"We got a bottle of wine to share so I had about two glasses.
"Then through the day we just walked around, having something to eat and I had a couple of beers.
"It was really busy in the Christmas Markets when we were there.
"It got to about 4 or 5 o'clock and I started to feel a bit drowsy and that's the last thing that I can remember.
"We booked a hotel, but I don't remember going to it, I just remember waking up in the morning and I was sweating and did not know what happened.
"My boyfriend told me that I was acting really really drunk and I assumed that I must have got spiked."
Student's eyes rolled back after she was 'spiked with needle' at party as arm 'throbbed'
Anya, who works in sales, said that the couple didn't speak to anyone at the markets or go inside any pubs or bars.
She says she had only had two glasses of wine and a few beers before she completely blacked out.
The following Monday, she spotted a small mark at the top of her leg and called doctors, who told her to go to A&E immediately.
She was given a Hepatitis B jab and had her bloods taken, but the results have not yet come back.
Anya says doctors were unable to confirm whether she had been injected or not.
Despite not feeling anything, Anya says it is 'clear what happened'.
Instagram creep threatens to rape young woman over her outfit in sick message
She added: "I can just remember feeling really drowsy and I got really tired then when I woke up in the morning my limbs really ached.
"It's horrendous. I was really shocked as I've seen this happening to other people and I was just shocked that it happened.
"I'm fine now, but I was just a bit shaken.
"It's definitely made me more worried. I probably won't be going out again for a long time."
Earlier this month, the Manchester Evening News revealed how students have persuaded the mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, to launch a partnership to tackle drink spiking in the city.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
It comes as more women across the city reported their fears that they had been targeted on nights out.
Manchester council confirmed it is working Greater Manchester Police following the report.
Councillor Pat Karney, the town hall's city centre spokesman, said: "We are, of course, horrified to hear of this report.
"No one enjoying themselves at the Christmas Markets – or any venue in the city centre for that matter – should have their safety put at risk.
"We want our Christmas Markets to be a safe place and security are posted across each of the event spaces and are very visible.
Greater Manchester Police confirmed the incident has been reported and enquiries are ongoing.
Source: Read Full Article